Through thoughtful prayer and discussion, Eastminster Presbyterian Church has developed its mission, vision and values statements.
Our Mission Statement
We, the members of Eastminster Presbyterian Church,
celebrate the grace of God and the redeeming love of Jesus Christ.
We believe we are called as God’s children to:
Praise and worship God;
Nurture and support spiritual growth as a family of faith;
Promote an open and welcoming community;
Reach out to the world with compassion;
and seek God’s justice.
We strive to develop and use our Spirit-given gifts
to share our faith in word and deed
as disciples who serve the Lord Jesus Christ,
according to the will of God.
Seeking to be faithful to the Gospel of Jesus Christ
and the congregation’s Mission Statement,
Eastminster is dedicated to mission and ministry within our congregation
and throughout our community and the world
in ways that share the Gospel message and meet the
spiritual needs of all persons,
with emphasis towards children,
youth, and families.
Eastminster’s Session voted unanimously to become a member church of More Light Presbyterians.
This is a non-profit organization dedicated to allowing the full participation of LGBTQIA+ people in life, ministry, and witness of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and in society. The Session felt this decision was naming what was already true at Eastminster, which is that all are welcome and all are loved.
Alongside becoming a More Light Church we plan to more explicitly name that we are an open and affirming church, accepting of all of God’s children.
Mission Statement of More Light Presbyterians:
Following the risen Christ, and seeking to make the Church a true community of hospitality, the mission of More Light Presbyterians is to work for the full participation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) people in the life, ministry and witness of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and in society.
In carrying out our Mission, and guided by our Vision, we will hold to the following Values in our work and ministry together.
- Theology – As a church of Jesus Christ, we will follow the revealed Word of God as it comes to us in the Bible and is interpreted through the Holy Spirit. We will be guided by the essential tenets of the Reformed Faith, as they are expressed by the Presbyterian Church (USA) and as contained in the Book of Confessions and the Book of Order.
- Discipleship – We will seek to “make disciples” by encouraging all persons to grow in their faith and their personal relationships with God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, through opportunities for prayer, study, service, and worship, both corporately and individually.
- Evangelism – We will seek to fulfill the Great Commission by carrying our ministry beyond our own congregation toward those people in our community who do not yet have a church home or have not yet experienced the good news of the grace of God’s message.
- Mission – We will seek to be in service and mission, giving individually and as a congregation of our time, talent, and treasure to others in need in the community and the world.
- Stewardship – We will challenge ourselves individually to give generously of our “first fruits” to the mission and ministry of this congregation so that, as we are blessed, we might also offer a blessing to others.
- Relationships – We will seek to love one another and to build one another up in the body of Christ, providing opportunities for members and participants to build faith-centered relationships with one another by encouraging people of all ages to 1) worship and pray together, 2) work and serve together, and 3) study and play together.
- Leadership – We will seek to be a congregation that empowers individuals and groups to carry out their calling to ministry. Our church leadership will seek to encourage individual members in the discernment and use of their spiritual gifts and personal talents in service to God.