Do any of the following apply to you?
- I want to learn more about racial equity, but I’m not sure where to start;
- July wasn’t a good time for me to participate in Eastminster’s 21-Day Racial Justice Challenge;
- I don’t really understand what systemic racism means;
- I wonder how Presbyterians have been involved in race issues over our history;
- I’d like to talk with others about what I’ve been reading on race and racial issues;
- I took the 21-Day Challenge in July, and I’d like to continue my work and the conversation.
If you identify with at least one of the above, please consider registering for Eastminster’s second round of the Challenge. As a reminder, the challenge will provide you with things to read, listen to, watch, reflect and/or act on each day for three weeks. Most will take only 15-20 minutes, but a few will be longer. Day 1 of the challenge will be Monday, September 7 – yes, that’s Labor Day. Day 21 of the challenge will be Sunday, September 27.
Although you will do the reading, listening, etc. on your own, we have scheduled three optional meetings during the challenge for discussion and processing. We will meet from 11 A.M. until noon on Mondays, September 14th, 21st and 28th at the church. The meetings will be outside, where we will wear masks and maintain social distancing. Participants will bring a chair or mat for seating. Following each hour-long discussion, all are welcome to stay for a BYO lunch on the church grounds.
In addition to these three optional meetings, you’ll receive an initial list of the learning items we’ll use plus daily emails with links to the items for the next day – and usually some extra items that are optional. We’ll create an email list of all participants so that folks can comment about what they are learning and what they think. Even if you participated in July, we encourage you to sign up again in September. Also, feel free to invite a friend or neighbor to participate. The Challenge will have a Presbyterian flavor, but the ideas apply much more broadly.
To register, please sign up with your name and preferred email address here. We would appreciate hearing from you before the challenge begins, but you are free to join at any time.