LOCATION: Eastminster Presbyterian Church, 1315 Abbot Road, East Lansing, Michigan
HOURS: Part-time, 29 hours/week — Monday through Thursday, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM (24 hours) plus 5 additional mutually agreed-on hours
BENEFITS: Church will subsidize health insurance at 5% of pay rate. Personal, vacation, health and family leave per church and presbytery policy.
PREFERRED STARTING DATE: June 4, 2018. Applications will be accepted through Friday, May 4, 2018 or until a suitable candidate is identified.
PURPOSE: To provide a welcoming, confidential and positive environment for all church visitors during office hours; to receive and manage church information; to accurately maintain church records; and to support activities of the church.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The office administrator is responsible to the finance and administration team of the session and to the treasurer, through the pastor as head of staff.
- Greets and assists church members and visitors.
- Prepares at least weekly email blasts and/or Facebook/Web updates.
- Establishes and maintains necessary church files, both electronic and paper. (These files include, but are not limited to, membership files, email lists, mailing lists, Session minutes, committee minutes, Eastminster Garden records, memorial gift records, etc.).
- Receives and handles or routes church mail, telephone calls and email messages.
- Maintains church master calendar and distributes as appropriate.
- Maintains office equipment including computers, fax, printers and AV equipment.
- Maintains church supplies
- Prepares, copies, assembles worship and funeral bulletins and other materials as requested. (These include, but are not limited to, church directory, annual financial and program reports, etc.)
- Maintains church operations manual as required by the Presbyterian Book of Order.
- Investigates and recommends ways to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of church office operations.
- Trains and monitors church members to provide back up and assist with administrator responsibilities.
- Receives and handles all financial mail and paperwork.
- Weekly prepares checks for invoices and payroll, secures treasurer’s signature, posts general ledger entries, prepares and/or reviews bank deposit and backs up financial and critical records.
- Monthly reconciles bank statement and distribute bank reconciliation report.
- Maintains payroll records.
- Prepares and submits all local, state and federal financial reports in a timely manner.
- Answers questions about member pledges and statements.
EVALUATION: An annual performance review will be conducted by the pastor, treasurer and chair of the session’s finance and administration team.
- Experience in maintaining account ledgers; word processing, composing and editing; using WordPress; employing social media, creating and using spreadsheets and databases; desktop publishing; office procedures; small business/church financial software, e.g. Church Windows or QuickBooks.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects with overlapping timelines and demands.
- Experience working with churches or other not-for-profit entities.
- Ability to think/work independently, render decisions based on relevant information, use good judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work on own.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Presbyterian Church–USA policies and procedures.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: Please submit the following application materials electronically to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through Friday, May 4, 2018 or until a suitable candidate is identified.
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three references
- Work samples